Accessible Page Links




Page Tools

Main page Content

History

The school opened as Garbutt’s Siding on 15 February 1932. The first head teacher was Mr Frederick Poulsen. The enrolment on the first day was 57. Mr Poulsen was quick to point out, when he took charge of the school, that the school needed fencing because the cattle were in the habit of camping under the school.

The first school building had two classrooms, each 28 feet x 18 feet with a veranda at the front and one at the side, 8 feet wide.

In 1941, during World War II, the school was shifted from its position in Crowder Street to one bound by Lonerganne, Meehan, Francis and Peel Streets.

At the old site, the school had been directly in the path of numerous air-craft, including heavily laden bombers, which cleared the school at a height of about 100 feet.

Then in 1942 that part of the new school ground, fronting Peel Street, was acquired by the U.S. Armed Forces.

During World War II housing developments in the area around the school led to a steady rise in enrolments.