content-left-bg.png
content-right-bg.png

History

WebPartZone1_1
PublishingPageContent

The school opened as Garbutt’s Siding on 15 February 1932. The first head teacher was Mr Frederick Poulsen. The enrolment on the first day was 57. Mr Poulsen was quick to point out, when he took charge of the school, that the school needed fencing because the cattle were in the habit of camping under the school. 


The first school building had two classrooms, each 28 feet x 18 feet with a veranda at the front and one at the side, 8 feet wide. 


In 1941, during World War II, the school was shifted from its position in Crowder Street to one bound by Lonerganne, Meehan, Francis and Peel Streets. 


At the old site, the school had been directly in the path of numerous air-craft, including heavily laden bombers, which cleared the school at a height of about 100 feet. 


Then in 1942 that part of the new school ground, fronting Peel Street, was acquired by the U.S. Armed Forces. 


During World War II housing developments in the area around the school led to a steady rise in enrolments.


WebPartZone1_2
WebPartZone2_1
WebPartZone2_2
WebPartZone2_3
WebPartZone3_1
WebPartZone3_2
WebPartZone3_3
WebPartZone3_4
WebPartZone4_1
WebPartZone5_1
WebPartZone5_2
WebPartZone6_1
WebPartZone6_2
WebPartZone7_1
WebPartZone7_2
WebPartZone8_1
WebPartZone8_2
WebPartZone9_1
Last reviewed 13 February 2020
Last updated 13 February 2020